FSC US Regional Manager – South
FSC US is the largest national office of the Forest Stewardship Council and is witnessing a dramatic increase in demand, driving the need to add to our team.
Do you want to work with one of the world’s most trusted and influential conservation organizations, operating around the world to protect forests?
Do you want to grow regional markets for products from responsibly managed forests, working with partners in business, environmental groups, governments and communities?
Forest Stewardship Council is seeking an accomplished individual to lead business and market development for the US South region, inclusive of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision to harness the power of the marketplace to encourage the responsible stewardship of forests. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that businesses and consumers could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities through their purchasing choices.
For 25 years, through its uniquely trusted forest management and chain-of-custody (COC) certification standards, FSC has been advancing the cause of responsible forest management - around the world, and across all forest product industries. FSC-certified products are widely available at all major U.S. retailers, and more than 4,000 North American companies are certified under FSC’s chain-of-custody standard, with over 37,000 certified globally. Approximately 200 million acres of forestland are FSC certified in North America, with 485 million acres certified worldwide.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Regional Manager for the US South will:
1. (45%) Connect supply to markets
- Collaborate with current and potential future business buyers who currently (or may in future) preference FSC, and progressively assist them to increase their uptake of FSC-certified materials.
- Track current and potential global and domestic markets for US South-generated FSC-certified forest materials across supply chains and work proactively to connect regional supply to these markets.
2. (25%) Maximize value for partners
- Drive greater recognition of FSC’s value in B2B markets so that FSC Chain-of-Custody (CoC) certificate holders are able to consistently maximize value of investment in FSC.
3. (15%) Expand regional supply
- Leverage market supply chain dynamics and other factors that influence forest management (FM) certification in the development and execution of effective strategies to sell FSC FM certification to key landowner segments, particularly family forests and TIMOs.
- Expand FSC’s successful producer-subsidized group certification model wherein additional FSC forestland in the region is secured through group certification.
4. (15%) Support related efforts across North America
- Serve as FSC US lead for region-specific areas of expertise, including but not limited to aspects such as pulp-based tissue and paper industry leaders and environmental issues of particular significance in the US South region.
- Provide management and implementation support as required for relevant accounts and initiatives across North America.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in an applicable forest products industry, forest advocacy or university extension role.
- Able to travel up to 40% as required (80% regional, 20% national).
- Salesforce or other CRM experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software suite.
- Strong prior experience dealing with complex forestry and forest product industry issues and demonstrated ability in execution of sales strategies on a regional or national scale.
- Willingness to learn and master new information on forest products industries, technologies, local organizations, climate science, forestry, and other relevant topics.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, ability to organize time, work independently, and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of sales methods and techniques and demonstrated ability to use in execution of sales strategies.
- Proficiency in Salesforce and in all MS Office applications.
- A resourceful and creative mindset, positive attitude, and the knowledge and passion to help build the capacity and reach of this vital international organization.
- Strong social, verbal, written communicator; trustworthy with confidential and/or sensitive information
- Able to work in independent, yet coordinated way; good time manager
- Creative and determined problem-solver
- Driven to results; action-oriented
- Capable of learning and applying knowledge quickly
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. FSC US maintains a highly competitive benefits package including health, dental and disability insurance, paid leave, retirement savings plan with matching contributions, and a flexible working schedule.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Maggie Abel at m.abel at us.fsc point org.
- Please reference “FSC US Regional Manager – US South” in the subject line.
- Resume attachments should be named in the following format: "LastName, FirstName - Resume."
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Manager – Policy & Standards
Are you excited by the idea of working with one of the world’s most trusted and influential conservation organizations, operating around the world to protect forests for all, forever?
The Forest Stewardship Council U.S. office is seeking a dynamic team member for a full-time position, based at our Minneapolis headquarters, to develop and support FSC’s policies and standards in the United States as well as inform and influence FSC’s global policy development.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision of harnessing the power of the marketplace to reward the stewardship of forests, one of the world’s most vital and threatened ecosystems. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that consumers of forest products could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities.
For 25 years, through its uniquely-trusted forest management and chain of custody certification standards, FSC has been advancing responsible forest management around the world, across all forest product industries. FSC-certified products are available at all major U.S. retailers, with over 38,000 companies certified globally. Approximately 160 million acres of forestland are FSC certified in North America, with 480 million acres certified worldwide.
FSC US is the largest national office of the Forest Stewardship Council, and is witnessing a dramatic increase in demand for FSC-certified materials and products.
Reporting to the Director of Science and Certification, the Manager for Policy & Standards will:
1. Lead FSC members and stakeholders in the development of forest management standards and other normative documents* for the US to ensure that they are accessible to the diversity of landowners and companies in the US and effective in achieving FSC’s stewardship goals.
- Evaluate effectiveness of existing standards and recommend and manage revision processes, including organization of working groups, draft standards development, public consultations, field tests and approval processes.
- Engage FSC members, certificate holders, certification bodies (auditors) and other stakeholders through in-person and virtual meetings, focus groups and online tools.
- Advocate in global conversations for effective and coherent global policies.
2. Monitor implementation of FSC’s normative requirements for the US to ensure effectiveness of their application and inform future revisions.
- Develop metrics and measures with assistance from technical experts.
- Create dashboards and other tools to convey results to internal and external audiences.
- Cultivate partnerships to support monitoring.
3. Provide technical support to existing and prospective certificate holders on application of FSC’s normative requirements for the US.
- Develop educational tools to support conformance to standards, in cooporation with FSC US marketing and communications personnel.
- Support FSC’s business development efforts by providing direct technical assistance to prospective and current certificate holders.
- Develop standard interpretations as needed for consistent application.
4. Support emerging FSC initiatives, such as Ecosystem Services, Risk-Based Approaches, New Approaches for Smallholders and others.
5. Represent FSC at meetings, conferences, and other events.
- Master’s degree in an applicable environmental or forest science, management or policy program plus at least 3 years experience in a relevant professional role or Bachelor’s degree plus 5-8 years experience in a relevant professional role.
- Willingness and capacity to learn and master the latest science.
- A passion for forest conservation that provides environmental, economic and social benefits.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software suite.
- Prior experience with forest certification or other standards-based systems.
- Knowledge of FSC’s normative framework.
- Ability to appreciate and balance diverse and often conflicting perspectives, while identifying common ground and steering stakeholder groups toward agreed outcomes.
- Knowledge of the range of forest management techniques used throughout the US, potential effects of forest management on environmental and social values, and the spectrum of threats to forest systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to adapt as needed to different audiences
- Strategic and analytical, but creative mindset; seeks innovative solutions to complex challenges
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail
- Time management skills; meets deadlines while balancing multiple priorities
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, but also a committed team player
- Outgoing and positive attitude
- Able to travel up to 10-15% as required (mostly domestic, occasionally international)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. FSC US maintains a highly competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance, paid leave, retirement savings with matching contributions, and a flexible working schedule.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Maggie Abel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please reference “FSC US Manager – Policy & Standards” in the subject line.
- Resume attachments should be named in the following format: “LastName, FirstName – Resume.”
* FSC US develops and maintains two normative documents specific to forest management and chain of custody certification in the United States. The FSC US Forest Management Standard is one of the world’s most respected forest management standards – and is available to the myriad US landowner types, from the smallest family woodland owners, to large private corporations, state agencies and the US Forest Service. This standard is currently under revision, with an anticipated completion date in 2021. The FSC Controlled Wood US National Risk Assessment (US NRA) identifies areas of risk to key forest values and appropriate mitigation approaches for companies that wish to incorporate non-certified forest materials into their FSC Mix products. The recently approved US NRA is innovative in its landscape approach to risk identification and mitigation, and reliance on collaboration between industry and environmental partners. Both of these documents are essential for maintaining the effectiveness and credibility of the FSC system in the US.