Second Public Consultation Now Closed!
The second consultationof the supplementary certification requirements for lands managed by the US Forest Service closed on July 10, 2016. Thank you to everyone who participated in this important process and provided comments – your input was carefully reviewed and considered by the FSC US Federal Lands Working Group.
The next draft, a “forest testing draft” is now being developed and will be tested on the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. This exercise is scheduled to take place in early January 2017.
A third public consultation will take place shortly after completion of the forest testing exercise. Please check back here for more details in early January!
To date, FSC certification of US Forest Service lands has not been possible due to an agreement among stakeholders that additional requirements to the FSC standard were needed to capture the unique conditions associated with National Forests, including ownership, history, mandate and resource management objectives.
In January 2015, the FSC-US Board of Directors initiated a process to develop these supplementary certification requirements, including supplementary requirements to both the FSC Forest Stewardship Standard as well as to the Certification Body Auditing Procedures.
The process to develop these supplementary requirements follows FSC procedures for developing or revising normative documents, including technical input and oversight from a chamber-balanced and consensus-based working group and technical experts, and opportunities for broader stakeholder engagement.
The first consultation took place from February 23 through April 22, 2016. It was followed by the second meeting of the 'Federal Lands Working Group' to review all comments and develop a second consultation draft. This second draft was developed with a commitment to advancing a shared perspective of what certification of National Forests should require.
Prior to developing a final version of the of the supplementary requirements, FSC International procedures require “forest testing” of the proposed requirements, followed by aconsultation of the “forest tested” draft. This is anticipated to take place in January 2017.
Download documents from the following links:
- Consultation Report from second consultation.
- Stand-alone document - Draft set of Forest Service supplementary requirements to the FSC US Forest Management Standard
- Embedded within the Standard - Draft set of Forest Service supplementary requirements to the FSC US Forest Management Standard
- Draft Forest Service supplementary requirements to the Certification Body Auditing Procedures
- Background information and key issues considered in this process
- Consultation Report from first consultation
- First draft set of Forest Service Supplementary requirements - from First Consultation
- First draft set of Forest Service supplementary requirements to the Certification Body Auditing Procedures - from First Consultation
FSC-US Federal Lands Group
- Environmental: Christina Hall, The Nature Conservancy
- Economic: Mike Jani, Humboldt Redwoods Company
- Social: Lynn Jungwirth, Watershed Research and Training Center
- Dr. Robert Hrubes, SCS Global Services
- Mark Heyde, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Katie Fernholz, Dovetail Partners
Others to be added as needs and opportunities arise.
Project Actions and Timeline
- January - September 2015: Project initiation, information gathering, stakeholder outreach and establishment of the Federal Lands Group (Terms of Reference).
- December 16-18, 2015: First in-person meeting of the Federal Lands Group to develop draft 1 (Meeting Summary Report).
- February 23 - April 22, 2016: First public consultation on draft 1 (Consultation Report).
- March 31: Interactive webinar on first draft
- May 4 - 6, 2016: Second in-person meeting of the Federal Lands Group to develop draft 2 based on stakeholder comments.
- June 3 - July 10, 2016: Second public consultation on draft 2. (Consultation Report)
- Early January 2017 (tentative): Forest Test
- Mid-January 2017 (tentative): 60-day public consultation incorporating results from the forest test
- Late March 2017 (tentative): Third meeting of the Federal Lands Group to develop draft 3 (expected final draft) based on stakeholder comments.
- April 2017 (tentative): FSC-US Board of Directors decision-making on the final draft.
- May 2017 (tentative): FSC International Board of Directors decision-making on the final draft.
Join the Consultative Forum
A Consultative Forum has been established as a way for stakeholders to stay informed about this process and for ongoing opportunities to provide input. Active and informed stakeholder engagement is critical to the success of this project and we welcome your participation in the Consultative Forum.
For more information or to join the Consultative Forum, please contact project coordinator Karen Steer (email@example.com).