Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
© Denmarsh Photography, Inc.Winner: Commercial/Institutional
Gross square feet: 24,350
Owner: Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Architect: The Design Alliance
General Contractor: Turner Construction
- Certified LEED Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council, scoring a total of 63 out of 69 points under LEED version 2.2.
- 100% of the new wood-based project components are FSC certified.
- The building and surrounding landscape is the first project to pursue three rigorous standards: the Living Building Challenge, 4 Stars Sustainable Sites Initiative™ (SITES™) certification for landscapes and LEED® Platinum.
- Phipps reinforces the importance of human-environment interactions with particular emphasis on green space in the city, urban gardening, healthy food initiatives and urban-based sustainable building practices to more than 250,000 people each year. Building materials are a principal point of discussion and FSC is a key reference point.
- FSC-certified materials include the following: Pressure-treated plywood from Roseburg Forest Company and Biewer Lumber Co. (IL), White Oak Timber Boardwalk from Matson Lumber (PA), White Oak Wood Decking from Matson Lumber (PA), Cherry Wood Base from Holt and Bugbee (PA), White Oak Wood Benches from Alan Mcilvain Company (PA), Cherry Wood Casework from Willow Hardwood/Sierra Pine and Giffin (PA)