Tuesday, 18 September 2018
Open for Second Consultation: Revised FSC® Trademark Use Guide for Promotional License Holders
September 20, 2018
All stakeholders are invited to provide comments on the second draft of the FSC Trademark Use Guide for Promotional License Holders, through the FSC Consultation Platform.
The deadline to submit comments is October 1, 2018.
Stakeholders can access and read relevant documents, submit their comments, and provide answers to the consultation questions directly through the FSC Consultation Platform. Stakeholders can also directly access the sections of the guide they are most interested in.
We encourage all stakeholders to participate in the consultation. Your feedback will help us further shape the FSC Trademark Use Guide to enhance and ease the promotion of FSC-certified products.
Why are we revising the FSC Trademark Use Guide for Promotional License Holders?
The guideline FSC Trademark Use Guide for Promotional License Holders was previously known as the standard FSC-STD-50-002 V2-0 Requirements for promotional use of the FSC trademarks by non-certificate holders. The change aims to create a user-friendly document with positive and proactive language, and including more visual examples to facilitate the use of the FSC Trademarks.
The objective of the revision is to streamline the trademark requirements to make it easier to promote FSC-certified products. It will also address Motion 29/2014 ("The Logo Motion").
What are the main amendments included in the draft revised guide?
- Introduction of simplified verification of products for promotion;
- Introduction of risk-based assessment on eligibility for promotional license;
- Introduction of guidance on how to describe FSC and products with FSC claims and on how to make basic procurement claims;
- Introduction of Ecosystems services promotional claims;
- Integration of the advice notes on the requirements for the use of the ‘Forests For All Forever’ marks (FSC-ADV-50-005);
- Introduction of an internal control system as an alternative to submitting all intended uses of FSC trademarks to the trademark service provider for approval.
- FSC will be providing a comparative document – entitled Crosswalk FSC-STD-50-002 V1-0 and FSC Trademark Use Guide for Promotional License Holders V2-0 – to assist stakeholders in reviewing the changes in the guideline. The crosswalk document describes, clause by clause, the differences between the current standard and the revised draft. It will be available through our consultation platform.
For more information, visit our consultation webpage.
Please contact Vicky Tran (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you have about this process. Thank you for your participation!