Tuesday, 26 July 2016
3rd Public Consultation for Chain of Custody Standard
July 26, 2016
On June 15, 2016, FSC International launched the third round of public consultation on the revised Chain of Custody Standard (FSC-STD-40-004) and corresponding Transaction Verification requirements that are proposed in the FSC Standard for Chain of Custody Evaluations (FSC-STD-20-011). Comments will be accepted until August 31, 2016.
The following are some of the main proposed updates in the Chain of Custody standard revision:
- Transaction verification
- Cross-site accounting proposals for credit and (new) percentage systems
- Reduction of labeling threshold for FSC Recycled label to align with FSC mix labeling threshold
- Clarification of credit system requirements
- Incorporation of advice notes and standard interpretations
The introduction of transaction verification requirements in the FSC Chain of Custody standard will also result in changes for certification bodies. Therefore, FSC is proposing that four new clauses be added to the FSC Standard for Chain of Custody Evaluations (FSC-STD-20-011 V4-0). These new clauses are included in the draft Chain of Custody standard so certificate holders and certification bodies can review the proposed transaction verification requirements for both standards at the same time. The clauses from FSC-STD-20-011 are only included in the draft Chain of Custody standard now to assist stakeholders during the consultation and will be removed prior to final approval.
Visit the FSC Chain of Custody Revision webpage for more information on the proposed changes and public consultation.
Stakeholder participation and feedback is essential to the revision process, and all stakeholders are encouraged to provide their comments on the revised requirements for both the Chain of Custody Standard and the Standard for Chain of Custody Evaluations.
This third revision contains changes based upon the feedback from stakeholders during the first and second rounds of consultations. Following this third consultation, the standard will be further refined based on the comments and feedback received.
For this third round of consultation, FSC is using a new web-based consultation platform to help stakeholders with their review of the standard and the collection of comments. View the consultation platform.
Please take note of the following before using the consultation platform:
- While you can save, pause, and continue your review at any time, you will need to use the same device (computer/tablet) to do so.
- Once you register for access to the consultation platform, you will receive an email with a link to access the survey. Keep this email and link easily accessible to ensure you can continue working on your comments.
- Each comment must specify the exact reference to the standard to which the comment relates (e.g. clause number, page, section). Comments submitted without a reference will be discounted by FSC.
FSC US hosted a webinar on June 29, which included an introduction to the revised standard, an examination of the changes between the second and third rounds of consultation, and lastly a walkthrough of the new consultation platform.
Watch the recorded webinar.
If you have questions about the revised Chain of Custody Standard, please contact Lori Knosalla, FSC US Policy and Standards Manager: Chain of Custody (email@example.com). Thank you for participating!