Wednesday, 11 May 2016
FSC Seeks to Fill Five Posts on the Policy and Standards Committee
May 11, 2016
The Policy and Standards Committee (PSC), a six-person advising committee to the FSC Board of Directors, is seeking five members to serve a three-year term starting in July 2016. Application deadline is 31 May 2016.
Roles and responsibilities
The role of the PSC is to provide technical advice and recommendations to the FSC Board of Directors on a wide range of issues including:
- approval of new and revised FSC policies and standards
- approval of National Forest Stewardship Standards
- providing advice on Policy matters.
For a complete description, please see the term of reference attached below.
The PSC is a chamber-balanced committee
The structure of the PSC follows our three-pillar approach to decision-making. We are seeking new members from the following FSC sub-chambers:
- environmental North
- environmental South
- social South
- economic North
- economic South.
General requirements for candidates
- Candidates must either be individual members of the FSC, or be affiliated to FSC member organizations.
- Candidates may nominate themselves or be nominated by other members.
- Candidates should be familiar with standard-setting and have technical experience with accreditation or certification systems.
- Candidates should be fluent in English, which is the working language of the PSC.
Specific requirements on the basis of which candidates will be selected
- Prior knowledge of, and participation in, the FSC governance structure at national or international levels.
- Prior knowledge of, and experience with, the FSC decision-making processes.
- Prior participation in one or more FSC committees, boards, working groups, or other processes relevant to the work of the PSC.
- Experience in developing FSC standards, at the national or international level.
- Other relevant experience in voluntary standards compliance assessment.
The final selection of the PSC will be made by the FSC Board of Directors.
The PSC interacts closely with the FSC Policy and Standard Unit (PSU) in providing high-level advice and in preparing decisions for the FSC Board of Directors.
The PSC meets once every two months, and two or three of meetings each year are face-to-face. To honour this commitment, FSC pays members a small annual honorarium, and will cover all expenses.
Interested candidates need to submit a completed application form and a CV via email or fax to the FSC PSU at firstname.lastname@example.org 31 May 2016.
The application form is attached. You are advised to contact the PSU if you not receive a confirmation of receipt after sending in your application.
Note: Members of the FSC Board of Directors, FSC staff and staff from national offices and FSC accredited certification bodies are not eligible to apply.