Thursday, 13 October 2022
2022 FSC Leadership Awards Winners Advance Responsible Forest Management
Large and Diverse Set of Winners Demonstrate Commitment and Provide Hope in the Face of Big Challenges
SEATTLE – Forest Stewardship Council, the world’s most trusted forest certification system, announced its 2022 FSC Leadership Awards, recognizing uncommon excellence that advances responsible forest management and forest conservation.
“It’s so inspiring to see this high level of commitment across such a diverse set of people and organizations,” said Derik Frederiksen, President of FSC US. “These award winners give us hope in the face of big challenges like climate change and show that it’s possible to promote resilient forests even as we all use forest products every day.”
FSC Leadership Awards celebrate forest owners, builders, architects, retailers, paper mills, manufacturers, environmental organizations and many others who contribute to the movement toward responsible sourcing and forest management. Winners of the 2022 FSC Leadership Awards are as follows:
- American Green Consulting for developing innovative tools and providing customer-focused consulting to support FSC Chain-of-Custody certified businesses.
- Appalachian Mountain Club for managing 100,000 acres of FSC-certified forest in the Maine Woods Initiative to restore landscapes and enhance recreation.
- Bio Pappel for being one of the largest manufacturers of recycled paper, paper products and packaging in Mexico, the United States, Canada and South America using 100% recycled raw materials to produce FSC-certified paper for major brands.
- Cascades for producing FSC-certified containerboard packaging, tissue and specialty products in 80 facilities throughout North America.
- Ejido Noh Bec, Ejido Caoba and Ejido Nuevo Becal in Southeastern Mexico for embracing FSC certification in diverse, tropical, community-based forests.
- Element5 for earning and promoting FSC certification in Ontario’s first cross-laminated timber manufacturing plant to create low-carbon building materials for the 21st Century.
- F&W Forestry for offering FSC to clients for over 20 years, meeting the diverse objectives of their group members across more than 500,000 acres of certified forest.
- Greenerprinter for being the San Francisco Bay Area’s premier environmentally sensitive printer, prioritizing recycled paper and marketing FSC to customers.
- HP Inc. for its strong FSC policy, achieving 95% FSC or recycled fiber for HP brand paper and packaging since 2020, expanding FSC-certified forests in China, and more.
- Lafcadio Cortesi posthumously recognized for dedicating his life to conserving forests and defending community rights around the world, especially in Canada and Indonesia.
- The Longleaf Alliance, American Forest Foundation and The Nature Conservancy for landscape-scale conservation in support of the FSC Controlled Wood system.
- Melissa & Doug for the widespread and growing use of FSC-certified materials in its paper products and iconic wooden toys, as well as for marketing FSC extensively in its consumer engagement.
- Meta for specifying 100% FSC for permanently installed wood in its commercial offices and data centers, achieving 94% FSC across 17 million square feet of data centers.
- Peter Hayes and Family for managing Hyla Woods as a model of ecological forestry with a rare mix of expertise, humility, and a passion for collaboration to improve forestry.
- REI for innovative product impact standards that identify FSC as a preferred attribute in all wood products from partner brands that are sold online and in their retail outlets.
- West Elm for more than doubling FSC wood use from 22% to 45% over the past five years, and for on-product marketing of FSC to heighten customer awareness.
- World Wildlife Fund-US for helping to found FSC, for service on the US Board of Directors, for engaging countless companies and consumers to choose FSC and more.
In addition, the following construction and building projects were awarded a 2021 FSC Leadership Award:
- SKS Partners, Perkins&Will, Nordic Structures, and DCI Engineers for 100% FSC-certified mass timber in 1 De Haro, California’s first multi-story mass timber building.
- Google and its development partners for the installation of 100% FSC wood use at Charleston East and over 96% FSC wood use at Bay View – the first time Google led the concept and construction of its own major campuses.
- Harvard University and Behnisch Architekten for using 100% FSC-certified wood across 46 product types in the 544,000 square-foot Science and Engineering Complex.
- Port of Portland, ZGF, Sustainable Northwest Wood, and Timberlab for a deep commitment to responsible wood sourcing, including use of FSC-certified glu-lam beams and lattice, which are iconic features of the new Portland International Airport terminal.
About the Forest Stewardship Council
The Forest Stewardship Council, the world’s most trusted forest certification, is an independent nonprofit organization that promotes environmentally sound, socially beneficial, and economically prosperous management of forests. FSC was created in 1993 to set the standards by which forests are certified, offering assurance to consumers and businesses that the wood products they buy originate from well-managed forests. More than 4,000 companies and 160 million acres of forestland are FSC certified in the United States and Canada. For more information visit us.fsc.org.