Thursday, 29 November 2018
Congratulations 2018 FSC Leadership Award Winners
November 15, 2018
Awards Highlight Diverse Commitment to Responsible Forest Management
CHICAGO – Forest Stewardship Council, the world’s most trusted forest certification system, announced its 2018 FSC Leadership Awards in a celebration to be held in conjunction with the Greenbuild Conference. Recognizing enduring commitments to forest conservation, the Awards highlight the people and companies whose work demonstrates uncommon excellence in the field of responsible forest management.
“FSC received an unusually large number of Awards submissions this year, which indicates the high level of enthusiasm, passion, and progress that powers FSC’s growth today,” said Corey Brinkema, president of the Forest Stewardship Council U.S. “This year’s winners demonstrate that we can in fact conserve forests even as we use forest products in our businesses and our daily lives,” he added.
FSC Leadership Awards celebrate forest owners, builders, architects, retailers, paper mills, manufacturers, environmental organizations and many others who contribute to the movement toward responsible sourcing and forest management. Winners of the 2018 FSC Leadership Awards are as follows:
- Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. for managing more than 14.5 million acres of FSC-certified forest, the largest contiguous area certified in the world.
- Burton Snowboards for using 100% FSC-certified wood in its iconic line of snowboards, including the one used by Chloe Kim to win Gold at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games.
- Certified Wood Products, Inc. for its pioneering efforts supplying FSC-certified building materials to construction projects across the United States and Canada for more than 17 years.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Forestry for achieving FSC certification for more than 20 years on 2.2 million acres of forestland, representing one of the largest expanses of wildland in the eastern United States.
- Ecotrust Forest Management for practicing ecological forest management on 70,000 acres of FSC-certified forest while delivering high-quality logs to the markets of Oregon and Washington.
- The Forestland Group for earning FSC certification on its entire portfolio of 1.8 million acres across 59 properties and 22 states, the first Timber Investment Management Organization (TIMO) in the world to do so.
- Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve, Limberlost Forest and Wildlife Reserve, and Timmins Forest and Wildlife Reserve for earning the first FSC Forest Management certification in Canada and maintaining it for 20 years, to supply responsibly sourced forest products and sustain the land for nature lovers.
- JRA Green Building for using FSC-certified wood as a core offering in every home it builds, and for certifying an entire house as an FSC Mix labeled product.
- Kimberly-Clark and World Wildlife Fund for an uncommon partnership that is engaging consumers about the importance of looking for the FSC label to support responsible forest management.
- Knoll, Inc. for serving as the largest contract supplier of FSC-certified furniture in the United States, offering FSC-certified wood as a standard component of its furniture.
- The Nature Conservancy for helping to build FSC’s reach, credibility and impact as a certified forest manager across 375,000 acres in eight states, as a member of the FSC International Board of Directors, as an FSC group certificate manager, and as an active participant in critical policy processes.
- Uniboard Canada Inc. for consistently offering FSC-certified engineered wood products in the North American building materials market.
- Mike Kopetski & Frances Seymour for using FSC-certified wood throughout their new home, including decking from a community forest in Guatemala and Accoya wood siding, in line with their long-standing global advocacy for sustainable forest management.
- Tom & Marti Burbeck, and Architectural Resource, LLC for Burh Becc at Beacon Springs Farm, which used 100 percent FSC certified new wood, complemented by reclaimed wood products, in this LEED Platinum, Living Building home.
- Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center and HGA for the Margaret A. Cargill Lodge, which used 100 percent FSC-certified wood in pursuit of Living Building Challenge certification.
- City of Dublin, CA and Dahlin Group Architecture Planning for the Emerald Glen Aquatic Center, which used FSC-certified wood products throughout, including Ipe-clad “wave” benches, and displays for educating visitors about FSC.
In conjunction with Greenbuild, the world’s largest green building event, FSC also launched a new FSC Wood Products Database, in partnership with Northwest Natural Resource Group. More than 175 FSC-certified suppliers of construction products have shared information about the FSC products they sell.
The awards celebration was hosted by FSC at the Glessner Coach House, close to McCormick Place where Greenbuild is being held. Check out the photo album on our Facebook Page. Thank you to all the excellent nominees, including: Allbirds, Crystal Cabinet Works, Dooge Veneers, Green Revolution Enterprises, Kaster Kustom Cutting, Materiaux Blanchet Inc., Procter & Gamble, Rangeley Lakes Heritage Trust, Rolland, Target, 9 Wood, House of Marley, Haleola'ili'ainapono, Lenfest Center for the Arts, and MARET Center.