Tuesday, 01 March 2011
Northwest Regional Initiative Awards and Events
FSC-US is delighted to announce that the winners of the 2010 Pacific Northwest Champion awards are Cascadia Green Building Council and McKillican International. These awards go to a nonprofit organization and to a for-profit business for their outstanding performance in promotion, education, outreach and assistance in expanding the FSC Northwest network.
The awards were presented to Joel Sisolak, Cascadia Green Building Council and Paul Nystrom, McKillican International at the January 11th, 2011 Pacific Northwest Regional Workshop: Business Opportunities in the FSC Marketplace.
The FSC Northwest regional workshop is the third-annual FSC forum in the Northwest. This year it brought together a diverse group of FSC members, certified operations and other stakeholders to engage with FSC-US staff and market and industry experts on several topics, including:
- Marketing to conscious consumers
- Successful regional market strategies for the wood, paper and print markets
- Resources available to assist organizations seize opportunities in the FSC marketplace
Feedback from those who attended reflected appreciation for the market information shared by their peers and the conscious consumer marketing experts from egg brand development. Several people also stated how impressed they were by the diversity of the participants attending the workshop and time made available in the program to get to know one another and network.
This workshop is one of many events scheduled throughout the year in the Northwest region to provide people invested in or considering FSC opportunities to network, learn about and expand the marketplace for FSC certified forestlands and products.
Other Northwest events scheduled for March and April to consider attending are:
- March 18-19, 2011: Northwest Certified Forests FSC Assessor Training, Elma WA--This two-day workshop is designed for forestry professionals who wish to gain the knowledge and technical skills needed to conduct FSC assessments on small woodland properties in the Pacific Northwest. Participants will be trained in both the field and classroom on how to consistently assess forest management plans and properties against the new FSC U.S. National Standard. Details and Registration: Contact Hanna Yourd, Northwest Natural Resource Group, by email at email@example.com or phone 360-316-9319.
- April 27-29, 2011: Living Futures, Vancouver, BC -- Living Futures is a conference for deep-green building professionals. It is the Cascadia Green Building Council’s annual event that features green building leaders and visionaries participating in discussions and panels, including a tradeshow showcasing companies and products meeting Living Building Challenge standards, creative networking sessions, and tours of the continent’s greenest buildings and community projects. FSC-US and several of our certified suppliers are participating in the program and tradeshow. For more information, visit http://cascadiagbc.org/living-future/11.